Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Close games at Hoxie

Last night I watched our oldest boys play basketball against the Hoxie Mustangs. It was an enjoyable evening for the most part. Logan (7th grader) played one of his best games of the season. His team pulled out a nail biter with just 16 seconds left in the game they took the lead on a 12 foot jumper from Will Winberry. Logan hit 2 free throws after a Hoxie player was called for a technical foul and that sealed the victory. Way to go 7th grade Mohawks.

The Junior high game was sloppy to say the least. We played very sloppy for most of the first half but found ourselves down by only 2 at the half. In the second half we played much better and our effort was commendable. Tanner played well in the second half by attacking the boards and going strong to the goal. I wish I wasn't so intense at sporting events but I find myself yelling instructions way to much. I am very proud of all three of our boys and I hope that each of them know that.

Sports has always been a big part of my life. It can be a very positive thing if you don't allow it to become more than it should. The thing I love to watch at just about any sporting event is an athlete who is busting his tail. I mean playing hard on every play. Effort has beaten talent many times. Just because you have talent doesn't guarantee a win. That is great to hear because not all of us have a lot of talent but yet we can all put out an effort. In the church there may be more talented people than you but understand this God is not so much concerned with your talent as He is your effort.

The junior Mohawks may not have started well last night but they finished strong. That strong finish led them to a victory. You may not have started your walk with the Lord very well but there is still time to finish strong. Be remembered as someone who gave a great effort.

No comments: