Sunday, March 18, 2007

A day of Memories!

Well if I could figure out how to post a picture again, today's picture would be me standing in the middle of a pond. That's right on a day when it is Snowing I decide to take a swim. Sounds kind of foolish I know but when you are raising 3 boys expect the unexpected. I can't help but laugh as I type this story. Saturday started just like most days with me eating breakfast with Rudy and then heading back home to work around the house. Well I need to tell you that sleep was a little scarce the night before because Logan had 7 other boys spend the night for his belated birthday party. They were AWESOME! After breakfast I was at my dads working on my little truck, fixing the brakes. We had just about finished when I got a call that will be talked about forever. It was Logan on the phone and he was very upset, I had a hard time understanding him but when I did he said something like this "DAD THE FOUR WHEELER IS IN THE POND!" that's right in the pond. I hurried to the house to make sure everyone was O.K. and Logan met me with a look of fear on his scared little face. I'm not sure how it all took place but when we arrived at the pond I found boys looking at a floating object that had 2 wheels. The only thing to do was go in and rescue the floating object. I had my good britches and boots on so they had to come off, and all I can tell you is that it was not a good day for a swim. Are you laughing, I thought so. I know it's hard to believe but this is a true story. I stepped off into the pond and just before I did Logan said don't do it dad I will. I appreciated the offer but I was already in my swimming suit so I went in and pulled the 4 wheeler to safety. After we hooked it to the truck we pulled it to shore and eventually home. I do want to say that no one was hurt putting the 4 wheeler in the pond or getting it out. (or after we got it out) Raising boys is a GREAT ADVENTURE! God always seems to give me personal examples for my sermons. Today's sermon is "You can always go home". What I love about the story is that when Logan and his buddies got into trouble he knew to call his daddy. Logan wasn't sure what would happen when I arrived or even after everything was taken care of. But the last thing he expected was for us to be laughing about it shortly after it happened, but that's what we did. I hope that Logan knows that no matter what ever happens whether it is something he shouldn't have done or just something he couldn't help he can always come home. I know some of you reading this know what I mean because you either have children or you have been a child in similar situations. What I have learned is that I also have a heavenly father who says to me that no matter what I do I can always come home. Do you need to go home today?

Speaking of going home, the reason I am up in the middle of the night is that Phillip Bridgeman just went home to be with Jesus. I got a call at 12:30a.m. from the hospital and when I got there Phillip had passed away. Ms. Mary his wife of 43 years said that Phillip had gotten up in the middle of the night and told her that his chest was hurting. She talked him into going to the hospital but he said he could drive himself. When Phillip got to the hospital he had a massive heart attack and they could not revive him. Phillip was such an encouragement to me he always was so complimentary to me as a preacher. He is going to be missed at the golf course, the card table, and Emmanuel Baptist Church. Please pray for this family. Phillip and Mary have 3 daughters and they have lost their daddy. I'm sure they have stories that they will tell that go something like what happened to me today.

1 comment:

by Troy Gramling said...

Great Story!!! Blessed Boys!!!